Employment Vacancies at Scarborough International School of English
Qualified TEACHERS REQUIRED for the summer period:
We are looking for teachers who are passionate about English language learning to teach on our summer courses either at the Year Round Centre or at our Summer Vacation Centre in Scarborough.
Minimum requirements for teachers:
- CELTA/Cert.TESOL or equivalent
- 1st degree
- Or Qualified Teacher Status
A CELTA/Cert.TESOL equivalent qualification must contain at least six hours supervised teaching practice and be validated by a recognised body.
QTS: A PGCE in a relevant subject (eg English, Modern languages) and/ or experience in teaching the relevant age level is an appropriate qualification for teaching under 18s on our summer courses.
Please contact the Director of Studies for more details at: firstname.lastname@example.org or apply using the application form on this site.
Accommodation and Welfare Assistant
Scarborough International School are now recruiting an Accommodation and Welfare Assistant, to support the Accommodation and Welfare Manager in the day to day running of the school’s Accommodation and Welfare Department.
Your main responsibilities include:
- providing students with suitable accommodation, working with students, agents and homestay providers
- dealing with queries and complaints efficiently and effectively
- ensuring superior customer service is delivered to students, hosts and other visitors to the school
- ensuring that the information flow from the Accommodation and Welfare Department is rapid, accurate and of a consistently high quality
- ensuring all appropriate documentation is in place and all record keeping systems provide the information required by both the regulatory and internal requirements
- maintaining a proactive welfare system within the school
- assisting the Accommodation & Welfare Manager in developing the provision of quality homestay and residential accommodation
- other duties as deemed necessary by the Business Manager and the Accommodation & Welfare Manager
- taking charge of the 24-hour emergency telephone when required.
To be successful in this role you will:
- be educated to A-Level standard or equivalent (Level 3)
- work in a customer facing environment, have an exceptional customer service ethos and a willingness to meet and go beyond customer expectations
- have good understanding and experience of Microsoft Office
- be excellent in communication and interpersonal skills
- have a high level of self-motivation and proactivity
- enjoy working in a team environment.
- be able to use initiative to deal with unexpected situations that may arise
- be flexible to work out of contracted hours to deal with student arrivals/departures
- have excellent organisation skills and ability to manage priorities
- be able to deal with and resolve a high volume of queries efficiently
- be able to work well under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
- have a strong attention to detail and high level of data and compliance accuracy
- demonstrate the ability to develop rapport with students from a variety of cultures and backgrounds
- hold a full UK driving licence, a car is essential for this role
The jobholder will be required to have a DBS (formally CRB) check.
This is a temporary, part-time position, to start immediately. Although this position is advertised as temporary, a permanent, full-time position could be offered to the right applicant.
The hours are provisionally 8.30-14:30 Mon - Fri.
How to apply:
Please apply with a CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role to: email@example.com
Scarborough International School are looking for a new Academic Manager to lead the school's academic department.
Your main responsibilities include:
- To be a key holder and be responsible for the opening and closing of the school
- Assist with teacher inductions, risk assessments and record keeping for fire health and safety
- Responsible for the arrangement of suitable lesson plans for international students who are attending English courses at Scarborough International School and for the smooth and efficient running of the academic department.
- To develop and update the school’s syllabus and assessment procedures to incorporate the latest teaching methodology
To ensure academic department follows criteria according to British Council Guidelines and be prepared and assist with all inspections
- Recording of all resources in the school
- Organise and present the school induction to all new students.
- Monitoring student numbers
- Monitoring student attendance
- Student Problems/grievances
- Maintain records of the students’ academic information
- Prepare for Placement Testing of new students
- Monitor student Progress/Development
- To be responsible for students’ pastoral care, this includes attending associated meetings
- To assist long term students with information on Further/Higher Education institutes and applications.
- Interviewing prospective teachers
- Organise contract and recruitment packs for new teachers
- Teacher discipline and grievances
- Teacher support, observations and appraisals including preparation of appropriate feedback
- Preparing teacher timetables
- Checking teachers records/registers
- Organising teacher INSET sessions and maintain records
- Organising and supervising mid-week educational excursions.
You are expected to use personal judgment and initiative to develop effective and constructive solutions to challenges
NB. The post holder is liable to undertake such other duties as may reasonably be required of you (i.e. some teaching maybe required during quiet periods/to cover absent staff)
- First Degree
- TESOL/TEFL diploma OR PGCE in TEFL
- 3 Years minimum (5+ years desirable)
Skills & attributes
- Good customer care attributes and focused approach
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Able to anticipate needs and act on own initiative when required
- Ability to self manage and work proactively, flexibly and reliably
- Ability to work under pressure
- Able to get on well with others and work as part of a team
- Well presented
- Good knowledge and experience of IT including Interactive Whiteboards
- Willing to work flexible hours when required
Scarborough International School welcomes agents from around the world for a wonderful visit.
See the lipdub from summer 2018! Find it on our videos page.
The German Teachers from Saxony Anhalt
The German Teachers from Saxony Anhalt loved their meal at El Gringos!
Prices held for 2019!
Scarborough International School will not increase prices for 2019!
El Gazette Centre of Excellence 2016
We are happy to announce that once again we are an EL Gazette Centre of Excellence!
Chilean Students' Cultural Visit to the UK
A group from Santiago came on a 3 week visit to Scarborough International School to experience life in the UK
Premiere! The latest Lipdub is here - Beth and Matt are Olivia Newton John and John Travolta in the SIS tribute to Grease
News for PON
Scarborough International School of English welcomes applications from teachers and schools funded under the Italian Ministry of Education PON program
Centre of Excellence
EL Gazette ranks Scarborough International School in top ten of British Council Centres of Excellence offering under-16 homestay accommodation
“I've been to Scarborough International School twice now, first taking a Teen Vacation course and then, two years later, an Intensive General English for 6 months. The staff are amazing and lovely people, the teachers are professional; if the school wasn't amazing I wouldn't have gone there twice and you know what, I would go there a the third time, but the next time with my brothers. About Scarborough, it's a very nice and safe place to visit and live, you could have a nice time on the lovely beach. My host family was such a great family I felt like I was living with my real family. I really like my memories there, I wouldn't forget anything.”
Ibrahim Al Shammari, Saudi ArabiaRead more...
“I highly recommend the International School of English (SIS) and Scarborough as the places to learn or improve your English!”
“I lived and worked in Scarborough for 8 months, and I spent my first and last month in SIS. That was very useful to my daily life, because there I could make lots of good friends. Some of them were British and others were Japanese, Italian, Russian, and many different other nationalities.”
Sara, SpainRead more...
“I lived my first experience abroad two years ago in Scarborough and, if I was a bit reluctant at the beginning because I was alone, I had to get used to my host family′s routine and I didn′t know the town I would stay in for two weeks, the students I met at school, my new teachers and all the staff managed to make me feel at home. To be honest, you can enjoy a Teen Vacation with your friends even within the borders of your own country, but at Scarborough International School I found a special atmosphere: students coming from all over the world have the opportunity to tell each other about their culture, habits and plans for the future, as if they knew each other very well. In fact I believe this intercultural exchange is the true novelty which I was impressed with. In addition, Scarborough is a nice town with some relaxing leafy areas, the places I visited on my school excursions in Yorkshire were dramatic and interesting, while the afternoon and evening activities proposed were really enjoyable. To sum up, I was absolutely satisfied with my SIS experience so that I decided to have another Teen Vacation there this year.”
Francesco, ItalyRead more...
“About a year ago we were on the verge of booking a holiday which was going to be a little out of the ordinary; a week’s study holiday in Scarborough for Dad with seven-year-old daughter. Mum meanwhile would be having a week’s holiday in the true sense of the word. A year on and we are getting ready to repeat the positive and enjoyable experience this adventure turned out to be. The organisation of the school immediately gave us a series of guarantees: our homestay accommodation was arranged with a family who had a young daughter, the study programme was balanced and well-adapted to the needs of both father and daughter.”
Paola, MilanRead more...